iTunes Producer is Apple’s online tool for publishing books to Apple’s iBooks store.
The iBooks app comes loaded on all new iPhones and is available as an e-reader for all IOS devices. With more than 243 million iOS devices worldwide, why wouldn’t you publish your next book to the iBooks Store?
For more reasons why YOU should publish to iBooks, check out my article 3 Reasons Why You Should Publish on iBooks.
iTunes Producer Requirements
To upload and publish your ebook using iTunes Producer, you’ll need a Mac computer and a validated EPUB file of your ebook. To learn how to create validated EPUB files, see my Create eBooks Workshop.
Don’t have a Mac? An aggregator will publish to iBooks for you.
Create an iTunes Connect account
iTunes Producer provides a quick and easy platform for uploading your ebook
iTunes Producer is the platform that allows you to upload your ebook to the iBooks Store. Don’t confuse iTunes Producer with iAuthor, which is an Apple publishing software. You can find iTunes Producer in your iTunes Connect account.
Don’t have a mac?
1. Download and install iTunes Producer
Log in to iTunes Connect using your Apple ID.
On the dashboard, click the Resources and Help.
Click the iTunes Producer link to download and install.
When you open iTunes Producer, you may need to enter your Apple ID again to connect iTunes Producer with your iTunes Connect account.
2. Add cover art and details
- Open iTunes Producer.
- Select Book, or select Textbook if you are publishing a textbook.
- Upload your book cover by dragging and dropping in the Cover Art section.
- Add your book’s title, author name, description and other metadata to the right of the Cover Art. Note: You’ll add your author name ‘first name last name‘ and then below add it again as ‘last name, first name‘.
3. Set your ebook’s price
- Next, click the Price tab in the upper left corner of the iTunes Producer screen.
- Add the territories where you have rights to sell your ebook, your primary currency and the ebook’s price in that currency. On the next screen you’ll be able to adjust the price for other countries and currencies. You can edit the price in any country/currency at any time, even after your ebook is published.
4. Submit your ebook and a sample in iTunes Producer
- After you’ve completed pricing and territories, click the Files tab in the upper left corner of the iTunes Producer screen.
- Here you’ll drag and drop your completed EPUB onto the left portion of the screen, under Book. You’ll drag and drop another EPUB with only a few chapters under Sample. This is so that readers can take a look at a sample of your book before buying.
- Click Submit in the upper right corner of the iTunes Producer screen when you are ready to upload your ebook.
That’s all there is to it! Your ebook should appear in the iTunes Store and iBooks Store within 72 hours or less.
To view your ebook in the iBooks Store, log into iTunes Connect, click My Books, select the ebook you wish to view, and on the right side of the iTunes Connect screen you’ll see a View Book link. Click the link and it will take you right to your published ebook sales page.
Need some inspiration? I would love to send some inspiration to your Inbox every now and then. I’ll start by sending you My Top Recommended Aggregators that will distribute your books to all major retailers, including Apple iBooks. I’ve also included in this PDF an explanation of what aggregators do, advantages and disadvantages, as well as a table of other major distributors they work with.
Click Here to Get Your PDF ‘eBooks Aggregators’
And you’ll find more free resources for self-publishing at the end of most of my pub.ink articles!